Thread: Hi from Oregon
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2022, 10:04 AM   #9
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired1236 View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I appreciate your concern. Both my dealer did I our research and I feel I’m aware of what my limits are. The trailer dry weight is 7,300lbs and once I’m loaded everything in, I WILL go to a scale and see where Im at just to sure what I can or can’t do. My specific vehicle has a tow rating of 10,700 lbs which is over 9,500 lb listed capacity the of the trailer. Closer than I like yes so I am watching what I load (not filling the water tank until I get close to my destination, not adding bike carriers, generators, etc) until, I get a more capable vehicle but I’m ok there so that leaves tounge and payload weight to worry about which lays out to be 1,710 lbs in total cargo weight limit for my vehicle per the sticker so that’s more of something to watch in my situation. The trailer as it sits now with most of things in it has a tongue weight as weighed by scale of 910lbs leaving me some room for people, vehicle gas, payload (which a again I realize I will have to keep light). It’s just my wife and I and we are not big people . So in this camp, it’s more of a mist and I agree I will have to be careful not to make it rain.

Oh, and also note, I installed a class 4 hitch when we got our boat (7,000lbs) as Ford puts a class 3 on all of them from the factory. I’m curious how many people don’t realize their hitch can’t handle their load despite their tow vehicles rating?
Congratulations on the new TT, and welcome to the forum.
Yea, Traveling Texan and Wired George, are just looking out for your safety, and get a bit zealous at times.

Truck prices are starting to come down, and likely to best order if you are looking new, as you can get a better price and what you want.

Seeing how you put a class 4 receiver on your truck, I assume you may also have LT tires.

The Dry weight of 7,300# gives you a bit to work with, if you travel light, might come in at 8,300#+/-. You are going down the right path weighing after loading, to see where you are at. Don't go light on the hitch weight the percentage needs to be 12% to 15%, otherwise it will cause sway.

I will agree with the others skip the 250/2500, and get a 350/3500 with the highest GVWR you can get.

Enjoy your new rig. Let us know what you find for a new TV.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote