View Single Post
Old 08-01-2022, 11:37 AM   #1
Tom 1957

Generator Questions

Howdy folks!

I have questions about generator use with my Keystone Cougar Half Ton 28SGS and a NorthStar™ 5500 open frame generator converted to run on gas, propane, or natural gas. (I understand that when powering the generator off of propane, that my output is a bit less than with gasoline, but trying to see if that's enough generator to power the RV).

Generator is 5500 watts peak and 4500 watts when running on gasoline. It accepts a a NEMA L14-30P 30 AMP twist lock male plug. My adapter has that on one end and a NEMA 14-50R female on the other end that connects to the RV 50 AMP plug. The 12 inch long adapter cables (4) are STW 10 AWG. I did a continuity test to verify all four conductors are consistent.

When running off of this generator, are both 120 VAC legs of the 50 AMP service to the RV receiving 2,750 surge watts and 2,250 running watts, 22.91 AMPS and 18.75 AMPS respectively? Do they load balance at all?

Of course I'll have lower output when running on propane.

I'm about to install two Micro-Air ASY-364-X36-BLUE EasyStart™ Soft Starters on the main room 15K BTU Dometic™ BriskII AC and bedroom 13.5K BTU Dometic™ BriskII AC units to help reduce the inrush current required to start either or both AC units simultaneously when running off of the above generator. (AC units are on separate legs of the 120 VAC service).

Thank you in advance for sharing your technical expert advice.

Tom
Tom 1957 is offline   Reply With Quote