View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 07:38 AM   #16
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Last post FYI anything, pulled, pushed, drawn upon a roadway is normally a VEHICLE. There are motor vehicles and there are non powered vehicles. A bicycle used on a roadway is normally a vehicle at that point. Maybe your state laws say different. If your state requires a license plate on a trailer, chances are the registration slip at the very top says "Vehicle License"
Ken,
For purpose of discussion as it applies to this thread (TX) you are correct. From the Texas Drivers Handbook, glossary of terms:
"vehicle – a device, in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, excepting devices used
exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks" I'm guessing your post was to imply that all states use this definition unilaterally. I'll mark that one "true" on the test.
I looked up other state handbooks (CA OR ID) for definitions. These states did not have a glossary for reference, but interestingly ID had the answers to the driving test in their handbook. My state has a glossary with a "motor vehicle" definition. No mention of a trailer in any state (that I looked at) except for the "farm trailer" mentioned in Texas.
Haven't checked my registration yet.
I think you will agree one should not read licensing rules and regulations of a given states DMV office and try to interpret "intent" from the wording.
I think the first sentence from wiredgeogre in post #6 say's it best. And the response from the OP in post #13 is a great explanation of the beuacracy that surrounds this issue, and it is not exclusive to Texas.
Honestly I think Texas is following suit from California's playbook and tapping a new revenue source. I guess they are trying to make all those "transplants" feel at home.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote