View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 03:38 AM   #13
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well a newer F350 or Ram 3600 SRW have GVWR of 12,400# and 12,300# respectfully, so with a trailer of 13,700# or 13,600# respectfully on would need a Class A, there are a lot of mid=sized 5er with a 14,000# GVWR.
When a buddy on the Texas DPS told me that I needed this license, I immediately went to the DPS website and started trying to see if it was true. What I found was a garbled mess that didn't give clear direction. It is easy to find an apparent out; if that's what you're looking for.

I called the district office and as I moved up the chain of command I received answers ranging from a resounding "NO" to "I really don't know, call this number"

It actually became a challenge to get a definitive answer.

Finally after talking to a couple of attorney friends and a Texas State Representative with varying outcomes, I got to the head guy at the DL Testing Division and after he got through laughing, he explained that he understood the confusion. But YES indeed, I would need the Class A Exempt DL. Two weeks later I had the written test and a week later the driving test.

It really wasn't a big deal...

Understand that this (Driver's License) is reciprocal from state to state, so you need to check your state's requirements.

The only thing in Texas more ambiguous than DL requirements is pickup registrations.