View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #24
RGene7001

Excursion is essentially a hybrid between 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton Forun. It is very heavy, with high centre of gravity. It has questionable handling and high rollover risk even without trailer. Will attaching 10000 lb make it any more stable? You will need Hensley anyway. This is what I found:
"http:// http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/fordexcursions/articles/article_1/index.php"]

I believe that going from independent suspension to quite crappy leaf springs is a step back, not forward. Yes, the Seqioya's rear overhang is far from from ideal but I would give it a try with Hensley and if it doesn't feel safe or manageable I would definitely know what to do.
I am certainly for ultralight trailers if they are well made. There is no evidence that Bullets or Passports have any structural problems, they have same issues as heavier TTs. Perhaps there will be less risk of tire failure because they are loaded much less. I just see no point in carrying 2000-3000 lb more, no matter what tow vehicle I got.
It is very sad to be involved in double rollover, no questions about it. But I don't see the evidence ( facts, statistics, logical reasoning, test data) behind statement that heavier duty TV would prevent it. It's very emotional and highly speculative. Why 98-99% of people get into fatal accidents WITHOUT any trailers behind? It is very naive to assign the blame for any RV accidents just to the size of the TV. Moreover, this approach prevent is from looking deeper into the issues and making RVing safer. Any high riding vehicle has higher rollover risk, I have a visor sticker warning about it. Duallies may be better, but only because of wider stance
Perhaps, Ferraris don't roll over. They just get cut in half if run into the tree. But few people tow with them

Gene.

'13 Passport 2650 BH- traded in
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote