View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Doug S .
You've asked the same basic question in another thread in the New Member Welcome section so you may get answers spread between this section and the other.

First, I am not sure if there are any "pros" towing close to the max, at max or slightly over max. On the other hand, I can think of a number of reasons why a person should avoid doing that and I'm sure you don't need to be told the obvious. No, you probably won't load up your TT to the max but you'd be pushing the limits. You would be surprised how much stuff you will bring along for 4 kids! Never mind the adults! Why push the limits when you don't have to?

Secondly, air bags or other similar helpers will do nothing to increase your towing capacity. All they will do is either level out the TV and the TT, make the ride feel smoother or both.

Thirdly, you probably aren't smoking crack but I think you are mistaken if you think your Toyota will safely tow any of these TTs. We've talked about your short wheelbase in the other thread and there is nothing you can do that will lengthen it. A good hitch system properly hooked up will go a long ways to minimize sway but the short wheel base might nullify any gains made by a good hitch.

Fourth --- come out to BC where there are mountains - lots of them. Many have very steep, long grades. There aren't many flat spots to be found. It's all up and down out here. I realize you don't live here but I am trying to visualize you in your Toyota going up the Coquihalla. Yikes! Mountains at Niagara Falls? You must be kidding!. I think you get my drift about the Toyota in the mountains regardless of where they are located.

Finally, I suspect you might be trying to marry one of these TT to your Toyota. This would not be a marriage made in Heaven. To me, it would make more sense if you were to:
1) forget those TT's and look for something smaller and shorter; or,
2) forget the Toyota and look for something with a longer wheelbase- like a crew cab truck. I realize you are looking at 6 people - 2 adults and 4 kids and that the Toyota fits the bill for being able to accommodate all 6 fairly comfortably. And that seems to be the only redeeming feature of having and keeping the Toyota.

Some "newbies" have come on here and asked the same question as you. "Can my truck tow X". Some newbies ask but have already made up their mind and are looking for someone to say "yes" you can do it - no problem . Some take the advice, think about it and actually change their plans and buy something else.
The final decision is up to you.