View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwest View Post
I'm glad you brought that up, for I have same sort of question. I've always been told to never, ever use silicone anywhere on a trailer except in the bath. But, the trailer we just got (2012 Vantage) appears to have silicone on the seams on the sides. Are they using silicone on the sides of trailers or is it something else? It's clear, stretchy, and slightly sticky.
I'm guessing your looking at proflex. It comes in white, clear and I think almond. Here's the descriiption from CW, maybe it will help differentiate it from Silicone.

"Developed specifically for RV use, ProFlex Flexible RV Sealant is more elastic than silicone sealants, and has superior adhesion as well. Tripolymer formula displaces water that might be hiding in seams and joints, and ensures a watertight seal. Bonds to virtually every RV material, even when damp, oily or frozen. Long lasting durable and paintable, USA?"

That is the description from CW. Unfortunately, it doesn't say whether it will adhere to silicone or not.

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that Vantage was using Sikaflex adhesives on their roof system and most likely on their end caps and sidewalls also. But to my knowledge, Sikasil GP caulk is available in clear and is a "sister compound" to the sikaflex system, so it is also a possiblity. Either way, it's not silicone, but a "tougher" product that sticks harder and is more waterproof then silicone.

My guess is that like my Springdale, your access doors, windows and probably trim caps are sealed with ProFlex.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote