Thread: Fantastic Fan
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #22
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathcartww View Post
Whether I can figure out a way to directly vent the range hood or not, I plan on installing a fan in the living room ceiling like ktmracer described. Both the Fan-tastic Vent and the MaxxFans seem to require the complete replacement of the whole vent assembly. Our trailer allready has the an MaxxAir cover installed over the OEM vent. I was thinking maybe one of these retrofit fans may be almost as good, and easier to install. What do you guys think?

http://www.hengsindustries.com/vents_vortex.html
Here is my take. installing a Fantastic or MaxxFan really isn't that difficult. Removal of the outside trim ring and dicor is actually much easier than it looks. remove the screws and then using a plastic "spudger" available at most any RV dealer you slide it under the dicor at one edge and slowly break the seal. The plastic tool makes it much more difficult to tear the roof membrane. Once the trim is off, you can just slowly scrape and roll off the dicor with the same tool and your hand. Install the new unit and using the non leveling dicor cover the trim edge and all the screws and your done.

I did both fans in my Outback in about 2 hours from start to finish for fan removal and installation of the new fantastic, and another 1/2 hour to finish the wiring etc. inside.

Why do this when the Heng retrofit fan is available??? Well, I tried one. The original Vortex I. Great idea, but something between mediocre and terrible execution. It's terribly noisy, blades aren't balanced very well, have lots of casting flash than combineds for significant vibration. They also block more light than the Fantastic, and don't move near as much air. It's sad, because it really would fill a need if the execution was better. Some folks have been happy with them, but from other message boards, a signficant number came away pretty unhappy.

Maybe they have improved them since the vortex I was introduced as they added the 3 speed and reversible versions, and one with a 12" fan blade. It would be great if the newer versions were improved, it would fit a definite need.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote