View Single Post
Old 07-26-2021, 04:14 AM   #19
Scttw

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNTerry View Post
I tow throughout the summer in and around the Rockies and the only time I had an issue with heating on mine is when I used regular grade fuel instead of premium. While I could not hear pinging, I'm sure it was there as the heat increase was obvious when looking at the gauges. I usually use regular fuel in the winter when the trailer is in storage then switch to premium for the towing season. I forgot to fill up with premium for that trip and noticed it in the mountains as the engine and tranny temps increased. I reduced the speed and downshifted to keep the truck in the power band and keep moving air over the engine. Knowing where the power band is and driving the truck to keep it in the power band makes all the difference on the eco boost.
Yeah, I assume your vehicle calls for high octane. It burns slower and prevents detonation. The burning slower will drop your heat as well. Kinda makes sense why you saw your gauges spike. I'd pick up a couple cans of octane boost - in the event you forget or just can't get it. It least you can add it back that way.
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote