View Single Post
Old 07-23-2021, 06:52 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scttw View Post
Yeah, it's weird how some vehicles unexpectedly perform better.

I spoke to guy last weekend who just moved full time into our park. He hauled his 30' travel trailer from Calgary to North of Toronto. He pulled it with a Ford f-150 Eco Boost. He use to pull it with an F250 and says the 6 cylinder pulls it better than the F250 did. I find it hard to believe but at the same time I don't think he was fibbing. He said it's rated for 9500 but that it will pull 12,500 comfortably - even through the mountains.
Without knowing anything about his F250, if it was a 2005-2009 with the "base engine/driveline" (5.4l with a 5 speed transmission) and a 3.55 or taller rear gearing, it's not surprising that it was anything but a "towing beast". Those trucks were typically "XL models with no options" and intended as "around town government response trucks" primarily used by road departments and the dog catcher.... Although there were a lot of people who got caught up in the salesman's pitch, who bought the same options believing "it's a towing beast 3/4 ton truck".....

So, depending on "his previous F250" and how it was optioned, it could be expected to barely tow itself, even without a trailer behind it..... On the other hand, if his "previous F250 was a diesel" and he's making that claim, there's something quite wrong with his old truck.....

It's impossible to judge "towing performance" from such a "generic vehicle" described as "he tried to pull it with a F250 and says the V-6 pulls better"...

In some situations, that would be the expected outcome.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote