View Single Post
Old 07-22-2021, 08:12 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

I suppose a lot of thought (and computations) should go into the decision to buy/not buy a trailer in this condition.

First, looking at the photos posted, the front decals are "significantly worn/sun bleached/faded". That's an indication to me that the trailer has been subjected to extreme sunlight and probably extreme heat. So, the owner's statement that it's "sun damage with no water damage" may be accurate.

On the other hand, just because a trailer sat in the sun and has "sun damaged decals and buckled FILON" doesn't mean it won't also have water damage....

So, a thorough inspection for water intrusion along the interior front wall/ceiling area is definitely appropriate. I'd look for any water stains, luan ply separation, ballooned vinyl "contact paper" separation and any swollen/warped trim pieces. Follow any cupboards/closets from the top to the bottom, especially in the back corners inside the shirt closets in that area. If you don't see any evidence of water damage, then climb on the roof and verify that the sealant is in good condition. If there is no reason to believe there's water damage based on that inspection, I'd feel confident that it's "sun damage only"....

Now, comes the difficult part. If there's no water damage, the trailer is "ugly but serviceable". Does the price reflect the "ugliness" ??? If so, it may be a great buy if the rest of the trailer is in good condition. On the other hand, if the tires are old, if the bearings have never been serviced, if there are other factors to reduce the value, then they must also be considered.

If the trailer is in "great condition" except for the front/rear FILON panels, and if the price reflects a reduction to offset those panels, I'd buy it. On the other hand, if it's an "average condition trailer with buckled front and rear panels" and there is no reduction in price because of that damage, then I'd keep looking.

Why? First, if you can buy an undamaged trailer for the same cost, then you're not getting "full value" for this one. Second, when you try to sell it, you'll find it much more difficult to sell for full value. Iin other words, you'll have depreciated value for damage that was present when you paid full value WITH THE DAMAGE PRESENT... So, as soon as you get the title, it'll be worth less than you paid for it. Not a good place to be with a 12 year old trailer.

If the owner is going to reduce the price and the trailer is otherwise in good condition, if the price reduction meets (or comes close to repair costs) then it may be a "good buy for a handyman".

Bottom line: Don't pay "top dollar" for a great trailer with obvious work required to make it a "top dollar trailer".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote