Thread: Truck tires
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2021, 07:49 AM   #45
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRandy View Post
Your front axle has a lower weight rating, If you run max pressure in the front it will likely start wearing the center of the tires, and ride rougher. I would guess the rears are worn more in the center, due to the truck being unloaded most of the time.

If I do a long trip in the truck unloaded, (which is rare) , I drop the pressure to 60 psi in all 4 tires. I run 70 psi cold in the front, and 80 psi cold in the rear when loaded. Note that if you have a tire pressure monitor, or check them after driving, the pressure will rise several psi. I have seen over 100psi on both the trailer and the truck on a hot day after towing for over an hour.
As a "disclaimer", I'd suggest that other members who might read this would not necessarily want to follow this "pressure advice" blindly....

If you have a diesel engine then you'll have significantly more weight (up to 800 or more pounds) on the front axle than if you have a gas engine truck which is significantly lighter than a diesel.

Some tires, depending on type, are not equipped to handle 60 or 70 PSI. P metric tires typically "top out at either 44 or 51 PSI. Then there's the "weight of other items on the truck". As an example, someone with a "heavy duty aftermarket front bumper, bullguard bumper, a winch or a snow plow may find that even with LT tires that can be operated at 60 PSI, that may not be enough air pressure to safely operate the vehicle at highway speeds.

The "blanket recommendations" that don't account for individual differences in type of driving, weight of vehicle, weight of cargo (in the truck in addition to the trailer tongue/pin weight) all must be considered before "airing down or airing up" tires.

While the above tire pressures may work well for the member who posted them, they may subject another member to unsafe tire pressures.

So, follow any tire pressure advice based on vehicle manufacturer's recommendations and adjust based on individual truck weight/cargo weight, because your situation may be "significantly different" from another member's situation.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote