View Single Post
Old 07-18-2021, 12:44 PM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I refuse to "carry a cell phone" (spent two careers "on call 24/7) and now that I'm retired, I see no need to be "electronically connected while trying to distance myself from work, worries and the BS of today's geo-political environment"...

So, I have a "pay as you go" phone on the AT&T network that sits in the truck 24/7 and is primarily used to "dial 911 if the airbags deploy" or in an emergency if someone else in the truck doesn't have a phone. DW has her "expensive with all the bells and whistles phone" on the Verizon network.

She also has the jet-pak on her Verizon plan.

We've seldom been in a location where she can not get Verizon service but we've had way too many times that my phone, connected to the 911 system in the truck, will report "no signal" or only 1-2 bars. When that happens, her Verizon phone typically has 4 or more bars.

I'd say that AT&T has less "nationwide service" than Verizon based on personal experience.

My SIL has T-Mobile, lives in the Detroit area and can not use her phone at our house. If we go into Gaylord, she can get service. T-Mobile appears, at least in Michigan, to be postured in the heavily populated areas and they apparently don't even have "roaming service" in this area.

So, if you get "good service now" and go with a "more populated carrier" your service should equal what you get or be better. If you go with a "smaller, localized carrier" don't expect to get anything once you cross the Mississippi River, except in "big cities".....

Javi finally got his carrier to provide what seems like a logical service, he posted the details on the forum. Look up those posts and/or he may chime in with what he did and how it's working.
My FIL used to have a cellphone in his truck that was turned off…. I was driving with him one day and said .. “why is your phone off? How is anybody going to get a hold of you if they need to?”

He said.. “ I didn’t buy the phone so everybody could get a hold of me…I bought it so I could make a call if I WANTED to ..lol