View Single Post
Old 07-17-2021, 01:25 PM   #45
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Do some "in depth research" on the • Pro Trailer Backup Assist

I've been told by a large group of owners that it works "as advertised" with a bumper hitch trailer, but "fails miserably" with a fifth wheel/gooseneck trailer.

Seems (as I understand it) that the decals are "easy for the system to follow" on a conventional trailer but that placement of the decals is "significantly more difficult to correctly apply" when placing them on a fifth wheel/gooseneck. That leads to system shutdown and inability to use the "• Pro Trailer Backup Assist" features.

If it works, great, but it's an "expensive paperweight" if you're planning to use it with a fifth wheel and the "user base says it doesn't work"....

Do your homework on that one. Nice if it works, expensive and frustrating if it's more a problem than a help.....

Having had PTBU on my F150, I can say it s also problematic with a bumper pull.

At least as far as the 2019 model year, I do not believe it was even recommended for use at all with a 5th wheel or gooseneck.

With many bumper pulls, you often must affix the target decal closer than the Ford manual suggests, as the short length of the trailer A frame and/or the location of the propane tanks, and depending on hitch, the L brackets, prevents proper placement. This slightly incorrect placement comes into play when making semi sharp turns as the camera will lose connection with the target decal. As far as I recall, it will not automatically re-acquire. You have to straighten out and start the process over.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote