View Single Post
Old 04-11-2017, 07:58 AM   #20
TallEddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
As a newbie about to hit the road full-time, I really appreciate all of the info about tires and wheels. It will absolutely keep my family safer on the road.

What really gets me is how the trailer manufacturers and dealers can get away with selling me a BRAND NEW trailer that is stated to have a 1,950 lbs cargo capacity (one of the selling points because of my full-time plans) while putting tires on the trailer that are only rated for 1,720 lbs! (Haven't checked the wheel load capacity yet, but will soon thanks to this post.)

One RVer I follow had THREE blowouts in the first six months on his new trailer because the tires were lower rated (below trailer cargo capacity). If I hadn't seen his video about learning this important piece of info after the fact, I wouldn't have thought to look into all of these issues.

So I'm grateful to him and grateful to you folks for laying all of this out and keeping us safe. Long live the forum.
When you look at the cargo capacity, you have to consider the trailer as a whole, not look at individual tires. Sure, the tires individually have a 1720 lb capacity, but you have more than one tire. you also have to add in the weight carried on the hitch. It is quite common for the load capacity of all the tires combined to be less than the GVWR of the trailer, because some of the trailers weight is carried by the tow vehicle by the hitch.
TallEddie is offline   Reply With Quote