Thread: Electric awning
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #30
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkgr View Post
Hey, I know you are all talking about awning issues with wind but I wanted to throw this question out. When I push the extend awning button, the awning goes out about an inch and then comes back in. I can't figure it out. It took a while but I got the awning fully extended by pushing the button quickly and letting the awning go out an inch at a time. Basically, I was letting go of the button before it started coming back in. I confirmed the awing will come in but can't figure out what the malfunction is while extending. When I got it out, if I held the extend button it kept retracting until I let go. Weird, but it wants to come in whether I'm hitting the extend or retract button.

Does anyone know what's going on with the awning? Has anyone had a similar experience. I have the Keystone Passport 2650BH. Thanks!!
You did not mention the awning mfr. or model. Electric awnings are motor driven which basically roll up or unroll the material. Applying 12VDC at one polarity causes motor to turn in one direction say to roll awning up. Reversing the polarity to the motor causes it to turn in the opposite direction. On the Dometic awning I do not think motor will automatically reverse if it senses a drag going out or in. As a matter of fact in another tread an awning was extending hit some resistance and resulted in a blown fuse (did not reverse).

In my Raptor there is a single bi-direction momentary switch, in one direction labeled retract and other extend. Pushing and holding extend supplies the correct polarity to turn the motor in the direction to extend the awning. Releasing the switch tops the motor. On the other hand, pushing and holding the switch in direction labeled retract sends the reverse polarity to the motor causing it to turn in the opposite direction (rolling material up). Again releasing switch again stops the motor.

I would say the switch is bad. My 2 cents
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote