Thread: New Bunkhouse
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 05:29 AM   #26
gtsum2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Really, it depends on your wallet, your tow vehicle and your needs. A fifth wheel will tow easier, but you loose the truck bed for storage of anything that's taller than the rails, you gain some extra trailer storage and more private space inside (steps to upper section) but lose some height in the front. You can't put two dirt bikes in the truck bed with a fiver attached. Fifth wheels are usually a bit more rigid with sturdier frames, but not always. They are easier for one person to hitch, sit taller and are easier to hang on a low tree limb.

Is it worth the extra investment? For us, yes, for everyone, probably not. Remember that as your kids grow, their interests will change, so keep that in mind. Later, you'll be changing tricycles and bicycles for motorcycles and ATV's. It's tough to plan the future, but if you think along those lines, you'll most likely be happier with your choice of RV's.
Good points and thank you. Actually, my 6 year old has been riding a raptor 50 atv for 2 years now..I also ride quite a bit..and my 3 year old has been riding an electric one for a year...a toy hauler might well be in our future, but I am guessing that would be 5 years down the road as that way I could take them both to Hatfield Mccoy in west va with me (I wouldnt take my 6 year old there now..too dangerous for him).

I have considered just getting a TH now, but I cant justify towing around a 14k TH when we just go camping to a state park or something..plus, I would likely have to get a DRW truck and that I dont want to do at this time (3500 SRW is going to be ordered soon though).

Lack of space for bikes in the bed would be a challenge though...I imagine I would have to get creative and put them inside the 5er or rig something up. The cost difference isnt that big in the grand scheme of things I suppose...I think a TT would fit us better (to be able to use the truck bed for bikes, etc), but the benefits of the 5er seem to be swaying me back that way too...what to do, what to do??
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote