Thread: New Bunkhouse
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 04:50 AM   #24
gtsum2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad View Post
My 5th is just shy of 37ft. It pulls like a 30-31ft camper with the ability to have tighter turns. A 5er will turn slower when backing up, but much tighter than a TT. I live on the east coast and haven't had any problems backing into spots. Sometimes they are tight. But always doable.

2005 Silverado 2500HD D/A
2013 Laredo 321BH
Thanks for the info. I have towed trailers, boats, etc all my life and normally can get into any parking situation the first time...but I have never towed a 5th or a gooseneck though. I imagine when backing it up, the 5er will react more slowly to begin with. I was kind of thinking that a 37ft 5er would be about the same length as a 34ft trailer (hitch and over the bed etc) with the truck.

I am trying to determine if the extra 7-10k for the 5er (comparable BH plans as the TT) is worth it for us. For example, the Sprinter 316BIK TT or the Sprinter 324FWBHS 5er...basically same floor plan. We will likely do 1-2 trips per month within 250 miles of home, and then a beach trip, and likely a bigger (1000-2000 mile trip each summer).

Part of me feels like a 5er (and its increased weight, size, cost) wouldnt be worth it for that amount of use....the other part of me thinks it will tow better, have more room (not a big deal, as long as the camper we get has separate BH for the kids), and have more features (centralized docking station, bigger tanks, etc). I have heard of some people saying a their 12k loaded 5er tows just as good or better (feel, stability, ease of tow, mpg) than their 9k loaded TT???? Thanks again for all your input and help...I grew up camping in motorhomes with my grandparents and travelling during summers, but this would be our first camper we purchase (aside from a pop up we had years ago).
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote