Thread: Electric awning
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #27
Stublejumper

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by twstdpear View Post
The sales person we were working with when we bought our TT said that the electric awnings are designed to withstand wind gusts, and that he personally has been in some pretty serious wind with it open and was surprised to find he had no issues or damage. He further explained something along the lines that the way the arm is designed with the gas props allows the awning to stay deployed while absorbing the awning assembly bouncing up and down.

Camping World's description for the Dometic 9100 Power Awning (looks similar to mine) says, "Knee Action design lets the awning fabric and hardware flex in moderate wind to prevent damage."

Needless to say, I'm a slight bit skeptical. Although given his stated experience and the bit about the Dometic awning above, there may be something to it. I still would err on the site of caution, though.
I like that "sales person" in other words he will tell you anything for a sale and at the same time offer a discount price on parts if you bought the trailer from them knowing that you will be back to buy parts from them after the awning rips off!!! I would play it safe and tie it down.