View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 03:51 PM   #1
Irishman2014

Another "do I have the right tow vehicle" question

Hello all. I’m another one of those forum subscribers wanting to know if I have the right TV for my TT. It’s a 2012 RAM 1500 Quad Cab with a 5.7 hemi, 6 speed trans, 3.55 rear axle ratio, General Grabber LT275/65R20/E tires, Air Lift 1000 air bags and new struts and shocks. The specs off the label on the door column are 3700 lb GAWR front, 3900 lb GAWR rear and a 1581 lb cargo weight. The GVWR of 6800 lbs and the base weight of 5085 lbs are listed on a PDF chart (not the door column) from Fiat Chrysler. Using the charts info my cargo weight is 1715 lbs, but I’ll use the 1581 lbs listed on the door column.
The TT is a 2014 Cougar 27RLSWE with an “advertised” shipping weight of 6271 lbs, carrying capacity of 1729 lbs and a hitch weight of 610 lbs.
On a recent trip I went and got weighed at a scale. We had everything in the TT and TV that we normally travel with (including the number of passengers, cargo, full propane tanks and a full tank of gas).
The results with the TV and TT combined are: 2940 lbs on the steer axel, 3760 lbs on the drive axle and 6220 lbs on the trailer axles. Without the TT the TV came in at 3220 lbs on the steer and 2560 on the drive.
So, here are my calculations: The TV weight when hooked up to the TT is 6700 lbs, which is only 100 lbs less than the GVWR. Is that too close? The 6700 lbs less the base weight of 5085 lbs equals a cargo weight of 1615 lbs. That’s 24 lbs over the cargo weight of 1581 lbs listed on the door column. Is that too close to call? I believe that my pin weight is 920 lbs which is 15%. I’d appreciate any feedback on whether or not my math correct.
I’m not saying those numbers are acceptable, but even if they are I’m still concerned that I don’t have enough truck. The distribution weight hitch is a Pro Series Weight Distribution System with Friction Sway Control. I generally run from 60 to 65 mph on freeways and no matter how tight or loose I have the round bars and no matter how tight or loose the sway bar is I still experience a fair amount of sway, especially when passing or being passed by trucks (even smaller ones). Might the weight not be distributed correctly? Too much weight on the drive axel and not enough on the steering axle?

Lastly, I’m not convinced the hemi has enough horse power or torque. The transmission shifts a considerable amount even on the smaller uphill grades. I know my 3.55 rear end and my somewhat over size tires are probably not helping. We live on the coast in southern Cal and it’s not uncommon for us to travel from sea level to 4,000 feet and sometimes 8,000 feet. I suspect that I’m really taxing the engine and transmission, especially without any special cooling set-up.

I’d appreciate hearing comments/advice/opinions relative to whether or not I have enough truck. Maybe that’s all I should expect from ½ ton pickup??? But will it last and how long before I have trouble??? Thanks in advance for your help.
Irishman2014 is offline   Reply With Quote