View Single Post
Old 04-13-2019, 05:12 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
Walt:
If you go to a camp with full hookup, hook up your grey tanks and you can leave the valves open.
However, don't do this with the black tank connection or you'll end up with the dreaded "poo mountain" in the black tank. For the black tank, just dump the contents before you leave the park, or if the tank gets full. The "liquids" in the black tank keep the "solids" soft and moveable. If the liquids are allowed to continuously drain away, the solids will "solidify" into "poo mountain" which can be hard to move after it has dried out.
I personally would never recommend leaving any of the holding tank valves open. Been there, done that. You really want all of your gray water to "flush" the "debris" left in the sewer hose after dumping the black tank. If not, you have a really nasty sewer hose..black tank flush or not.

First long stay it was recommended to leave our gray tank valves open then just dump the black tank and use the rinser. After a few weeks we went to leave. No issue really with the black tank "stuff" but the entire hose (all the serrations inside) was completely filled/packed with soap scum and who knows what else. It would not flush out and I didn't/don't have the patience to put a hose in it and try to blow it out. Capped both ends and put it in the dumptster. New hose, dump at appropriate intervals....zero problems.

Also, for your toilet, ALWAYS run plenty of water into the black tank after you dump it. You want to have plenty of liquid in the tank after dumping to "suspend" whatever comes in....not stick on a dry bottom. I make sure to run plenty of water after using every time to make sure we avoid potential problems.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote