View Single Post
Old 02-13-2020, 10:39 AM   #47
slow

Benefit of Rear Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
We are having a new HC outfitted with what we think we need. What do folks think of having a camera at the rear of the trailer? Is it useful? Does it help backing into a situation? I've read lots of posts about how beneficial it is to use while driving or pulling back into your lane after passing...but I have that down I think. After many years of backing into "unknown" spots I've learned to use my mirrors, judgement and DW in the back with a cell. The camera seems like it might be beneficial but from the comments I've read on this forum and others it seems like it doesn't really work that way and the detail doesn't really help. Thoughts/comments on the usefulness of these would be helpful and appreciated. I've seen there are just single backup cameras and multiple; any benefit to either? Thanks.

My take on rear cameras having had a true observation camera with a 30 degree viewing angle on my previous trailer and now a Furrion backup camera with a 180+ (?) view angle on our current FW:

The observation camera at the back of the TT was great to replicate what would be seen without a trailer behind you looking at the rear view mirror. But it was useless as a backup camera or viewing a bike rack on the rear of the TT. Anything closer than 10 feet behind the trailer was magnified too much.

The FW’s backup camera is only good to verify no one is immediately behind the FW and to watch the bike rack. Since the camera cannot be tilted up enough and since the image is so small, it is useless in observing anything in the distance.

Having a camera with both the narrow and wide field of view as selectable options would be ideal IMO. The only current option would be to use the two cameras, one wide and one narrow view with some way of switching between them. That may be next season’s project for me.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote