View Single Post
Old 02-13-2020, 09:32 AM   #42
Lawdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
My system is an RVS wired camera system. There is NO interference, NO loss of signal, NO blackouts/blank screen. That said, the camera is invaluable for knowing what's behind the trailer. We do "triple tow" nearly all the time, with either the boat or the slingshot on a trailer behind the fifth wheel, the ONLY thing I can see in the truck side mirrors is an "occasional tire/fender" during turns. It's extremely comforting to know the cover is on the boat or the slingshot, that nothing is loose, that both tires are still "rolling not bouncing" as we tow. If you've ever triple towed, you know that there's no way to know if you have a "blowout on the fifth wheel" and it's even more difficult to "know what's happening" on a second trailer. So, a rear camera is a "must for me" when triple towing.

That doesn't even approach the subject of knowing what's behind me and beside me when changing lanes or passing a slower vehicle. When I pass someone, I "KNOW" that if I can see them in the rear camera view, they are BEHIND the trailer, there's no "watching the passenger side mirror and judging by shadows or flashing lights" whether I've got clearance to merge back into the right lane.

As for glare: The only glare I get is sun glare or at night, glare from street lights, security lights around the parking pad. That "bit of glare" is more than enough to "confuse my old eyes" so I prefer a spotter over "guessing there's nothing I don't see in the monitor" when backing my trailer.

My "one shot with a wireless system" was a dismal failure, I then bought the RVS wired system and have had no problems in 10 years of using the same camera/monitor/wiring. If it was up to me, I'd always opt for a WIRED camera system over a wireless system. After 10 years of using this one on 3 trucks and 2 trailers, for me, it just seems "reasonable that wired systems are more functional" That said, if I were buying a system, I'd want to get the "latest and greatest version" not the "easiest for the serviceman to install".... YMMV
Agreed with all of this. I installed an RVS wired system on the back of my fiver because I double tow on most trips, with a lot of $$$ in ATVs and UTV back there. The camera and screen was under $400 and I installed it myself in about 6 hours, taking my time. I had a buddy who is very handy help me and it was really pretty easy.

It helps backing up a little, but mostly I want to see what's going on back there as I go down the road.

RAM 3500 Cummins HO
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB
Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE
Lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote