View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Question OH MY ZZzzzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
Total reboot did not work.
I checked everything this morning before going to work and the frig was 25 degrees inside it with nothing but 120v hooked up at the outlet in the back of frig compartment. No electronics were on or gas supply, also had hooked the 12v back up too..
So I have some type of circuit board messed up????
Would that be the control board or something else I cant see?
I can get a replacement board for around $90.00 plus shipping???
I can get by the rest of this week with a cooler but dont want to do that for a week on my vacation.
any thoughts???
randy
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
Total reboot did not work.
I checked everything this morning before going to work and the frig was 25 degrees inside it with nothing but 120v hooked up at the outlet in the back of frig compartment. No electronics were on or gas supply, also had hooked the 12v back up too..
So I have some type of circuit board messed up????
Would that be the control board or something else I cant see?
I can get a replacement board for around $90.00 plus shipping???
I can get by the rest of this week with a cooler but dont want to do that for a week on my vacation.
any thoughts???
randy
OKAY I did not see any reference to a manual usually they have a table in the back for things to check under different type faults. I will assume you either do not have one, could not find one, or it was useless.

I have a NORCOLD not Dometic. See if got this correct, unit freezes up either in Gas mode, electric, or Auto regardless of the position of the coldness control. This would tell me it’s the control system (control board, temp sensor, coldness control). Basically control board is the brain comparing the desired temp (coldness control) and the Actual temp (sensor in frig) then outputting a control signal to the cooling portion (Gas or Electric). Obviously since it is freezing we can assume that portion is working.

So we no we are down to the control Board, temperature sensor, coldness control which from pictures seems to be a slide control assume some form of rheostat, and the control output signal from the control board. If you can get to the control board I would expect to see two wires from the coldness control (desired temp), by looking at the picture, the temp sensor in the frig has a white cable which should be another input connection to the board. Power to the control board which you should check and an output to the cooling unit

If you pull the coldness wires from board should be able to put a meter on these leads and move the slider and see a varying smooth resistance change. For the temp sensor not sure type you have, to recommend checking it other than basic continuity. As stated check power to board

Now here is the dilemma control circuits are designed with fail safe conditions. Here is an example if the actual temp (input) sensor falls (no input) the board would send an output to shut off the cooling unit, on the other hand if the cooling unit sees no output control signal from the control board its fail safe condition would be to shut cooling system off. Basically fail safe condition of frig would be cooling unit off rather than full cooling.

You mentioned you were considering ordering the control board, what comes with it (board only, board + temp sensor, ??). I would say if board came with temp sensor for inside Frig should be pretty safe. If not I would find a way to check the temp sensor before assuming it is the board. My 2 cents or maybe in this case penny.

This is what happens when you retire and get older. Hope some of this makes sense.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote