View Single Post
Old 08-17-2022, 12:53 PM   #7
Jonahex2099

We just purchased our second camper (upgraded a 2017 Clipper) - a 2022 Passport GT 2704RKWE knowing full well the issues that have crept in during the last two years with QC and build issues. If helps that we have a dealership that *does* care about the customers satisfaction - and for all the complaining I've heard about Keystone's customer service (mostly on Facebook) the two times I've had to deal with them directly (minor stuff) they've been more than helpful.

We had already decided on the floor plan - the 2704 is a perfect layout for a couple with two small dogs and there weren't a lot of options that met layout my wife had and the length and weight requirements I had.

So when we went to the dealership, we went with a notepad and a packet of red stickers and did, short unscrewing things and pulling off panels, and looking in the deep crevices, a very very thorough inspection top to bottom, hitch to bumper. We made them hook up power to it to do some base systems checks.

All told the list was about 25 or so items long, all minor really, and things I could have addressed myself, but didn't want to. They were 100% understanding and assured us that everything on the list would be taken care of before we took delivery and signed. We also ended up coming in well under Keystones MSRP for the camper as equipped.

I should also note our camper had been on the lot since late April and we had some pretty significant rain out here up until late June/early July - and there was zero evidence of leaks/water incursion.

When we went in for signing/delivery - before we even set foot in the dealership we did *another* walk around and went down the list of things we had annotated - every one of them were fixed. I also tested every single system on the rig - (they hooked up propane so I cold verify stoves, oven, fridge, water heater, outdoor stove, etc).

We had a couple things installed - backup camera and a slide awning - they did a fantastic job - installed correctly, sealed correctly. During hookup the tongue jack crapped out - they replaced it on the spot (not that they had a choice)...

Once all of that was done and we were 100% happy we then did the signing portion while they set up my Equalizer hitch on our TV (with the exception of the jack which happened during hookup).

Since we got it home, I've of course opened things up, and did some deeper QC inspection. For the most part things weren't too terrible. A few crappy staples in the dinette frame and bed support - all easily fixed with good brackets. A couple items that were mildly cringeworthy (but cosmetic really) - ie the cutout for the water heater looks like it was cut by a toddler with Parkinson's and a dull jigsaw - but not visible, so something I can fix for my own OCD sake over the winter.

Some things I felt Keystone went cheap on (no friction hinges in the overheads was SUPER annoying, but easy to fix) but all things that they were willing to have dialog on. The (N)Everchill fridge in the outdoor kitchen crapped out, they sent a replacement - that was dead on arrival. They sent me a check to buy a new one myself - which was great because I ended up with a bigger one (that still fit) and a few bucks in my pocket.

What I've personally discovered is having a good dealership is a huge part of making sure you get treated fairly. Approaching any support issue with them and Keystone with non-combative attitude, but still being firm, and using humor, the support experiences I've had so far have been great. I get getting upset - we spend a lot of money on these things - but being overly irate/abusive is going to go nowhere.

The other key is not "settling" and just driving it off the lot....give it a hard look when you finally decide - if you're new to this stuff - take someone with you who's been around the block....

Sorry for the long read, but that was my Covid-Era TT Build experience....

Jonahex2099 is offline   Reply With Quote