View Single Post
Old 08-15-2022, 09:54 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Some thoughts on your quandry;

I do believe that quality has dropped a notch since Covid but also think that is probably going to change since units aren't moving like they were so they won't be trying to throw them out the door as fast as they can. That said I believe the number one failure of a new buyer is to do a thorough PDI; insist on it by the dealer with a copy of their pre delivery repairs given to you then following up with your own top to bottom PDI using the list available on this forum. That in and of itself will eliminate many, if not most/all, of the complaints of terrible quality before it ever reaches your hands.

Know what RVs are all about. On that PDI, after delivery and every 6 mos. you need to go over an RV checking the roof and all seams for any cracks or voids. These things bang, shake, rattle and roll down the highway and things come undone, loosen etc. due to that. If you don't stay on top of it things will most assuredly "come undone" and usually with some sort of damage. When you stop look for loose screws, drawers, doors etc. - it happens to all of them. Staying on top of them is the key vs thinking they are like a s&b and just letting things ride until they break.

Make sure you have a good dealer if you think you will use warranty repair. I've had warranty work done on nearly every new trailer I've purchased. A good dealer goes a long way in assuring customer happiness. Be vigilant always but particularly in the first 12 mos. of warranty. When something comes up don't let them drag it out past the warranty expiration. Also, if it looks like that is going to happen document it and let the dealer, and Keystone, that you expect repairs after the warranty period is up. I've done that a few times and they've never balked.

Mine is a 2019 bought literally just prior to the shutdown. It had some issues and they did quite a bit of warranty repair on it. I expected some of it, some I didn't but it didn't matter because I KNEW there would be something. When they agreed (Keystone) to replace the entire undersides of my slides I was very happy.

Extended warranty? Bought it for the first time on the last one and by golly it paid for itself then the black tank developed a hole in it and it had to be replaced. Is it always that way? No. It's just something you have to weigh for yourself.

Bottom line I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new unit if I was in the market but I know what I'm looking at, what I'm looking for and what I expect. The things we see are usually non structural (seams, seals, caulking, loose this and that) and the damage that can bring and lots of things that should have been caught at point of sale. Floors, slide floors, roofs etc. generally get ruined by water intrusion hence stressing the sealing and inspections of same. If you're in the market and really want one I wouldn't wait "until" since none of us knows when that might be....if ever. If you decide yay we would be happy to answer any questions you may have as you enter the process.

BTW, welcome to the forum and sorry for the long post!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote