View Single Post
Old 08-11-2022, 09:44 AM   #44
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGator View Post
We recently returned from a 62 day 6730 mile summer trip. I will detail a trip report in a differing forum, but we had an amazing time.

The one downside was I blew 3 of my 5(including spare) Hi-Spec tires during that trip. And when I say blew I mean they went off like a bomb. The first one, driver side front, went about midway into the trip up in Maine. It, of course ruined the underside belly tape and skirting around it. It also blew the snap pad off of my leveling jack which flew into a passing truck damaging his headlight and grille.

The 2nd tire (driver side rear) went just outside of Nashville and completely destroyed the remainder of the skirting and underbelly tape along with blowing off the other snap pad, which I was able to recover from the middle of the road. The fender trim also blew off and is ruined.

The 3rd tire happened after our trip when I was bringing the camper to the dealer for warranty/repair/recall work. This one was passenger side and damaged the underbelly tape, lost the snap pad in 6 lanes of traffic in Orlando, and damaged the skirting.

So in 2 months I have significant damage that I will bear the cost of for some really poor tires. I absolutely have 0 confidence left in the remaining 2 hi-spec tires and it won’t leave the dealer without a new set.

The dealer (General RV) says Keystone won’t help out with the tires. They are willing to give me RoadX tires at their cost. Their “cost”, however, is higher than what I can get online but maybe I can get them to mount and balance them for me. I am going to reach out to Keystone personally as this shouldn’t happen with a 5th wheel that is less than a year old.

I have(had, these were blown apart as well)TPMS in all the tires, pressure always checked prior to leaving and temp monitored along the way. No warning or indications prior to explosions.

Long story short I recommend taking a hard look at getting differing tires than the factory Hi-Spec’s if you have the STw235/80R16G size and rating.

On another note finding quality tires when you are in desperate need is challenging and I ended up with 2 differing tire replacements from local tire shops where I had the issues. One being a Trailer King tire and one being a Navitrac. These are both low end tires at the $200 mark. I will say that visually both of these tires look much more “commercial” and robust than the Hi-Spec tire which looks like a normal road tire.

I am looking for inputs for a quality G rated tire. The RoadX tires are made in Canada and General RV puts them in their “best” category. I have never heard of them. These forums suggest Sailun tires, which are made in China, are great tires and people have had a lot of luck with them. I had Goodyear Endurance on my previous trailer and I liked them but they don’t make them in a G load rating. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Rob

Sorry to hear of your problems. A couple of questions:
What was the scale reading for each axle on the trailer?
What is the low pressure warning level for your TPMS?
What is your normal "cold" inflation pressure
What is the GAWR shown on the RV Certification label?
Have any good pictures (close up in full sunlight?)