View Single Post
Old 10-22-2021, 07:09 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
The pisser of it all was that his spare carrier lug nut was a different size than the axle lugs. My old Jayco was like that, I just happened to try the axle socket on the spare carrier one day and discovered it. Why in the world... never mind, no sense in thinking over that one.
The reason is the spare tire carrier is not trailer specific. They are built on an assemnly line with the parts ordered for uniformity and simplicity. One that trail of thought, I'd suggest everyone with a different spare than the other wheels on the axles confirm that the lugnuts will work with the spare tire/rim. Some folks with aluminum wheels and a steel spare have found that with a steel spare rim the "acorn nut" (clsed end) may not be deep enough to tighten up against a thinner rim.

The prudent thing IMHO is to carry spare lug nuts that you have confirmed fit the spare and a set that fit the OEM wheels on the axle. I carry the more capable Dewalt battery impact tool as well as a set of "flip sockers" that store in a plastic case. My set has 4 sockets (8 sizes) and the extension all in one case. I've found that this prepares me for any "spare tire install event". Impact gun in one hand, soket set in the other and no suprises.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote