View Single Post
Old 11-24-2021, 08:56 PM   #16
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
IMO a 50A cable at 40-50' IS heavy and cantankerous to maneuver....every one I've ever dealt with and so thinks everyone I know. I think the question was directed at buying available cable options vs "building" something to fit an individual situation. You built your custom cable and are happy, didn't seem to be what the owner was looking for. As far as custom cables this comes to mind;

"Southwire's Viper SOOW portable rubber cord is used for wiring industrial machinery, motors and associated equipment, portable tools and equipment and temporary electrical power and lighting installations for construction sites"

Just wondering where RV power cable comes into that?
Well it meets the conductor size and the insulation is as good if not better than the thermoplastic used in standard RV power cords.
I like the fact that it is easy to deal with hot or cold. There are factory made 50 amp cables that use lighter, and more flexible jackets, but they are very pricey.

We full time and heat with electric using RV Comfort systems "Cheap Heat" we use 5,000 watts to heat when on a 240 volt 50 amp connection and don't have any issues. The heating unit is on a 240 volt 30 amp circuit, and breaker.

Once again 40' in a 3 gallon bucket. The hand in the second picture is for scale, not to hold the cable down. it is a lot lighter than thermoplastic cable.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote