View Single Post
Old 11-22-2021, 08:34 AM   #36
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
There is a severe shortage of skilled blue collar workers in all trades in this country. The education system seems to always be behind the curve. In the 1960's we were told to "become an engineer!) Because the space race was in it's glory. By graduating HS in 1972 the space race was atbthe finish line, the Vietnam war was ending (less defense spending) and engineers were waiying tables.

Fast forward to the 1990`s and kids were told thry needed a Junior College degree to be a "sanitation engineer" (garbage collector) a BS to work in an office, and a Masters Degree or better to make dedent money. This misconception left the construction trades, auto and diesel tech positions unfilled. Outside of unions there aren't many apprenticeship opprotunities and few people willing to wait for the "Masters " money at the completion.

I advise anyone graduating HS and unable to go to school to consider the military. They won't "get rich quick" but with a good work ethic can get an education and or training. Nowdays, anyone with some mechanical or electrical aptitude and intrest can jake a good living if they are willing to spend those years they would have spent earning that 4 or 6 yr degree (depending on discipline) and get the experience and traijing certificates in a trade.

jmho, ymmv
I'd have to agree with the military!
I tried in 1974 to join the USAF but was classified 4F due blind left eye?
Our son graduated HS with no idea of what he wanted, like the majority of graduates, pissed away 2 years of college then joined the USAF. He's been retired for a year with 21 years of service now at 43 years old drawing a good retirement + has another great job that he plans to retire from again at 58 years old.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote