View Single Post
Old 07-03-2019, 01:14 PM   #1
Tater85

Rear hitch effects on trailer structure

Just bought a 2015 Springdale 202QBWE. I was looking for a toyhauler but couldn't pass up the deal I got on the rig. I would like to add a rear receiver hitch. None of the aftermarket hitches fit the way that I wanted so I designed my own that bolts through the web of the rear of the I beam frame with plates on each side of each frame rail.

I would like to tow my 2 place atv/snowmobile trailer with 2x500 lb atvs on it. I can physically lift the trailer one side at a time until the tire comes off the ground. I am guessing it weighs 1500 lbs loaded. Assuming I will load with a 150 lb tongue weight.

I called keystone, they recommend against installing a receiver hitch for any reason including a platform or bike rack unless it came with one from the factory. They said something about flexing the frame and causing wall separation issues in the front of the trailer. I kind of think they are just covering there a$$.

I am a bit concerned about the thin ~1/8" thick frame construction. I am a mechanical engineer and after running some calculations, I am totally confident in the static strength of the frame and my hitch from the axles back. Just concerned with damaging the travel trailer.

Disregarding the legalities or whether I should or shouldn't tow double; Has anyone had issues with a travel trailer frame cracking or any other issues that could be related to added weight on the rear frame of the trailer?
Tater85 is offline   Reply With Quote