View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 08:00 PM   #16
Fast_frank_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I've read this thread and think it's interesting - how much is in a tank; how much goes in the tank; how full do they fill the tank; are Rhino tank replacements less??

Not to be callous but, why do we care? I run out of propane, I go to abc dealer and pay whatever it costs to fill it.... Am I going to dispute it? Ask for a "gallon" price when they have none? Drive down the road for 30 miles to save $1 or 2?

I do think that knowing "gallons" in the tank, "weight" for the tank is very beneficial and something everyone with an RV should know. When you have a "blank" tank of ? gal/weight size it's probably good to know what it "should be" but to fret over, what, $2 max in what goes in the tank? I guess I'm lost on that - and I travel all the time. I know lots of folks fret over lots of things, but for me and LP....I'm out, fill it, thank you. I spend thousands of dollars on vehicle fuel; I need fuel now, you're here, it costs x.....I don't care.

When I was a young boy my dad was anal about finding the "best" gas price. The Cosden station on the route to the next town (with the little balls floating in the top of the pump)_ sold gas for .19 a gallon. He based that for his purchases. We would drive miles, run out of gas, push the car so we could buy gas at the "cheapest" place. They even had places in the "line" where they would go out and fill up with "drip" gas. Done. Not for me.

We have reached a point with fuel prices; diesel (which used to be cheap), gasoline or "whatever" are at what used to be unbelievable prices; propane, in a small tank, 15lb./20lb/30lb., and I pay a buck or 2 more. Sorry guys, I don't care nor will I spend zero time to try to run down a cheap place, at the cost of $5-10 to save $2. As always JMO/YMMV
My OP referencing "long trips" is a bit vague, I admit, but it's clearly not about the money. More explicitly stated, when camping at 9000 feet and 50 miles from the nearest propane, I want to have the most capacity possible without dragging the extra weight/inconvenience of more tanks through the mountains. Money isn't the primary motive for the thread, but just to maintain factual accuracy for the discussion, the per-unit price of propane for exchange is almost double that of a refill (~$21 per 20lb exchange vs. $12 refill, not just $1-$2 difference)
Fast_frank_d is offline   Reply With Quote