Thread: 284rdbwe
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2021, 06:02 PM   #7
RunningWild

After briefly looking at the unit today I decided it wasn’t for us. As you said, the build and trim quality just didn’t seem to be there for me. Lots of smears on hole fill jobs, rough edges, non-clasping doors, etc.

I will continue to look at different manufacturers. I was always under the impression that the cougar line of rv’s was top notch. Maybe that’s no longer the case.

We might look at a Heartland Sundance or possibly a Cougar 32BHS which might suit my truck better. Plus it has the extra bedroom with a real door.

We’ve found that we need 2 bedrooms and at least 2 slides.

Where should I be looking for a bit better quality of build? I’m happy to stay with Keystone if they have a 5th wheel that’s a bit better built. I’m not expecting perfection but it needs to “feel good” not cheap. We’ll gladly pay a bit more if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msubobcats View Post
We had a 16 284RDB.
Quite a few issues with trim/quality. Nothing major but just several issues. Then in February of 16 we checked it at storage and there was a roof leak, rear over the bunks. Could have been around the rear vent but was not going to dig into it. There was also a BIG issue with running lights/tail lights. A fuse would continually blow. So we traded it.
Since you are buying an 18 chances are (knock on wood) all issues might have been fixed.
Now, whatever you buy just make sure you check EVERY function to see if it operates properly.
We did like ours, it just was not as comfortable as we wished. Could not view the tv from the couch without turning our heads a bunch. Didn't use the bunks near as much as we thought we would, we are Grand/Great Grand parents. Loved the outdoor kitchen and it had pretty good storage. Did not like the fridge with the stinking reostat for adjusting the temp. It was half ton towable for a few half tons. The polar package was so-so. Very easy to winterize. Mixed bag.
Good luck with your venture...
RunningWild is offline   Reply With Quote