View Single Post
Old 01-16-2021, 07:53 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
OK. Just for the sake of argument, how can a Super Duty carry a heavier truck camper with a diesel engine than a 5.4L gas? And for what it is worth the brakes, suspension and seat base on my truck are at least as good as new with new components as well as the tires are rated higher. The transmission and rear axle have been serviced within the last two years with full flush of both. Chart says I can drag 15,500 lbs on page 17 and I don't think I want to even try.
First, the SuperDuty with a 5.4 engine has a different GVWR than a SuperDuty with a 6.0 diesel engine, so the old saying, "You get out what you put in" applies. You simply can't compare "apples to apples" when the beginning weights AND the beginning max weight ratings are entirely different. There is no "common ground" between the two trucks.

Second, every nut, bolt, rivet, frame rail, frame cross member, weld joint, are subject to stress/wear. The point I was making is that your truck is NOT in "new condition" at every component and the question becomes "where will that stress/wear affect weight carrying/weight towing capability"... Having new "major components" doesn't preclude some "seemingly insignificant" cross brace rivet from failing and causing the truck to fail while towing. The actual statement I made was: "Years of use will decrease the maximum capacity on the suspension, brakes, transmission and rear axle "internals" as well as the comfort of the seat base cushion" Maybe what I should have said is "the ENTIRE structural integrity of the truck is subject to stress/wear, including the seat base" ????? Replacing the tires doesn't remove the wear on the rear axle bearings nor does it renew the welds on the spring hangers, both of which are also as old as the seat base.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote