Thread: Help--towing
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2017, 06:12 PM   #55
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
To be fair, the manufacturers also bake a HUGE factor of safety into their posted capacities (unlike the RV manufacturers). Imagine the lawsuits if someone was just under their stated capacity and a major accident occured, solely due to the truck and not due to improper loading or other outside circumstance.

I am not saying we should make it a free for all and go way overweight or anything, but that is also a way of looking at in the "real world".
I'd ask one question (well a bunch of questions): Do you have any substantiated documentation to validate the statement I changed to red? We all know there's some "fudge factor" but to call it "HUGE" ???? What's "HUGE" 100 pounds? 500 pounds? 1,000 pounds? How do we know? When does that "HUGE" factor age out? When the tires are 5 years old? When the springs have flexed 250K times? When the brakes are 50% worn? when the frame has been loaded to "max capacity" plus a "HUGE" factor for 6 trips? or 12??

I'd suspect that none of us have access to any data to confirm anything "HUGE" so how do we address it with any reliability?

ADDED: And, a point to consider: Wouldn't the RV manuacturers also be subjected to that same "lawsuit" if they didn't also "bake in a HUGE" safety factor?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote