Thread: scale confusion
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2020, 03:29 AM   #60
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
I should not have used the term sticker. I was referring to that beautiful brochure folks look at in the rv showroom to get the "specs" for the trailer they are looking at. That pin weight they give you there is based on dry weight I believe.

Another problem I think may happen to new RV shoppers is the way truck ads emphasize towing power. This truck can pull 25,000 lbs. I don't think I have ever seen a tv ad or read one or had a salesman ever mention payload.

I thought I had more than enough truck when I bought mine. Then I landed here and got my weight education. I got my set up weighed and came to the real world. I'm OK on payload but not by the margin I would like.
When towing 5th Wheel Camping Type Trailers, the most important number to be concerned with is the PAYLOAD number of the tow vehicle. Almost every single time, the truck will run out of available payload capacity long before your reach the towing capacity of the truck. I have preached this repeatedly, both from personal experience and from a knowledge standpoint. And to further this fact, there IS a huge difference between towing a 5th Wheel Camping Type Trailer... vs... a flatbed utility type trailer. And one other thing to point out, when the truck manufacturers make a statement about how much the truck is capable of towing.....there is NEVER a reference to 5th Wheel Camping Trailer in particular.....they just say "Trailer". Of course we as campers automatically think that they are talking about 5th wheel camping trailers.......THEY ARE NOT! And again, PAYLOAD capacity is the weight rating that is first and foremost when towing a 5ver camping trailer... vs... a flatbed or utility trailer.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote