Thread: scale confusion
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020, 12:58 PM   #46
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcordell57 View Post
And I'll interject 2 thoughts on this(as I may be in the same type situation, but won't acknowledge due to the "weight police").
From a reputable RV magazine:
1. There is NO SUCH THING as a 1/2 ton towable 5th wheel, despite what a given auto or RV manufacturer tells you.
2. Half of ALL 5th wheels on the road are overweight somewhere.

After hashing weight #'s myself for the last 9 months and talks with many people, including auto engineers that I know, I believe the 2nd point to be true. Seems everybody doesn't care about GVWR, just payload when the GVWR is the more important #.
And to start another arguement, from one of the auto engineers that told me that the weight #'s have lots of 'fudge factor' built into them, a way to calculate a truer GVWR, with your weight ticket subtract the empty RAW from 'hooked up' RAW and add to your GVW. That # is a real world GVWR.
Example:
RAW with camper 6340
RAWR - 3460

= 2880
GVW(truck ready to hook up to camper) + 8560

Real world GVWR 11440
The reality of the weight capacities is this. If you are over the payload rating, you are automatically over the GVWR of the truck....or if you prefer, if you are over the GVWR of the truck, you are over the payload rating. It's just that simple.

And BTW.........your auto "engineer" is 100% wrong! That's not the way it works
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote