Thread: scale confusion
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020, 08:59 AM   #44
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspman View Post
Wife and I spent our 1st weekend in the the camper at a campground this past weekend. All was good weather, rv systems all worked well, Hit the cat scale on the way home to proof what i thought i had a pretty decent bead on.

The scale ticket came back with 4 weights.

Net A - 4820lbs (assume steering axle weight)
Net B - 5280lbs (assume drive axle weight)
Net C - 7780lbs (assume trailer axle weight)
Net (A+B+C) - 17880lbs (assume combined weight of A,B, C)

I have an 08 Silverado 2500HD DMax TD, ext cab stnd Bed 4wd,
My door Sticker has the following info:

GVWR - 9200lb
GAWR FRT - 4860lb
GAWR RR - 6084
GCWR - 22000
Max Trailer weight 14000

Q: Am I safe for towing and within my weight limitation ?
I believe so, not sure what my measurables directly relate to my door sticker?

Thx in advance for your guidance in this matter

Scott

I'm going to take a different approach and let everyone else argue about advertising and salespeople.

Looking at the scale numbers (It might help if was had a pictrue of the weigh slip but)

1 I am going to assume the "A" weight if the P/U front axle "B" is P/U rear axle and "C" is the combined axles of the trailer

2. P/U GAWR F is 4860 so front axle is 40# under the MAX rating

3 P/U GAWR R is 6084 so rear is 804 under max

4 Tlr GAWR ? (sticker is on tlr) If we assume a perfect 50/50 weight split each axle is loaded 3,890 and assuming the weight is perfect split side to side each tire has 1,945#
Buy we know that almost no trailer is perfect on weight split with many showing 45/55% split so recalculating we might be at 4,279 for one axle and 2553# on the heaviest loaded tire.

Summary
P/U might be OK if assumptions are ok but passengers better not eat a big lunch.

One or more tlr tire might be overloaded but we don't know the GAWR of trailer axles or tire size, type or Load ranger. If I were a betting man I would bet a beer that there is an overloaded tire on the trailer.

You can read my blog on RVTire Safety if you want to learn more.

Stay Safe out there. In some states that may be a problem.