View Single Post
Old 06-01-2019, 06:15 AM   #33
depush

Everyone has their own way.

Bottle jacks are so cheap I opted for the 20-ton shorty. Its base is wide, which was important to me, and knowing that any jack can fail I didn't mind going way over-spec. It'll be loafing. Could lift my whole trailer and the TV too, loaded. (The trailer won't fall to the ground, there's another axle. 2 in my case. Still, caution is prudent, and confidence is nice in trouble situations. The increase in size and weight over a smaller bottle jack isn't enough to matter, IMO)

I just replaced all of my six center hub covers. I used a short 2x4 to span the u-bolts at the end of the axle and lifted there. The wood compresses where it needs to, providing a softener while distributing the weight. It was very stable.

I also use a cordless impact for the lugs (also used for stabilizing jacks). Wouldn't leave home without it.

Obligatory word of caution: when reinstalling lugs with an impact don't over-torque. It's easy to do and could deform an alloy wheel. Use a torque wrench to final tighten to spec. (Tire houses typically use 100lbs across the board for all 1/2"x20 lug studs. My Keystone spec says 120lbs.) It's advised to check lugs and re-tighten to spec at 10 then 50 then 100 miles and thereafter until the lugs stay tightened to spec.
depush is offline   Reply With Quote