View Single Post
Old 10-25-2020, 06:33 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
My gage will show red when the tank is near empty at that point both tanks are near gone. With both tanks open my gauge will allow equal amount of fuel. I noticed it while Boondocking for a extended time . Plugged in I use very little propane and use ele heater . The gage being set correctly that would be valve pointing to the bottle . Straight up would be equally distributed fuel ?
There are two types of "automatic regulators"... Some work as you described, pointer "up or down" and the regulator draws from both tanks" on others, "up or down" shuts off all propane draw from either (all) tanks.

That "feature" is really irrelevant to using the "automatic feature" on any of the regulators commonly used in RV's... On all automatic regulators that I've seen, if you point the regulator valve to a tank, it draws from that tank and the other tank is "on standby" and will remain full until the selected tank is empty. When empty, the "red indicator" will appear in the window and the regulator will automatically switch to the full tank (isolating the empty tank).

If your regulator is drawing from both tanks equally when the pointer is "pointing to one tank" then your regulator is defective and should be replaced.

Don't just "spend $50 on a new regulator until you actually "CONFIRM" the need. Fill both tanks, turn both tanks on, point the regulator selector to one tank and "wait until it switches tanks" (as indicated by a red indicator, continued gas supply to the coach and ONE empty tank. Switch the pointer to the other (full) tank, the indicator should turn green and you can remove the empty tank without interrupting gas supply to the coach.

Remember, if you wait too long, both tanks will eventually empty, which could be the issue with your system. When the regulator switches, if you don't remove the empty tank, in about that same length of time (from start to switching) the second tank will also be completely used and the result is a red indicator, the valve pointing just like it was when you started and two empty tanks.

REMEMBER: THE SELECTOR VALVE DOES NOT CHANGE POSITION AUTOMATICALLY, ONLY THE INTERNAL VALVE SELECTS THE FULL TANK. THE VISIBLE POINTER WILL STILL BE POINTING TO THE EMPTY TANK WITH A RED INDICATOR VISIBLE. YOU HAVE TO MANUALLY CHANGE THE POSITION OF THE POINTER ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE REGULATOR. WHEN YOU TURN THE HANDLE, THE RED INDICATOR WILL CHANGE TO GREEN TO INDICATE GAS IN THE SELECTED TANK (THE TANK THE POINTER IS POINTING AT)...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote