View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 04:28 PM   #9
greengiant

I had a front receiver added last summer for $225 installed. I looked into getting a receiver on the back end of the trailer, and/or adding that same 'curt' bumper receiver, but in the end I just wasn't sure I trusted it-kinda how you seem to feel even after trying it. (Note-since then, I have seen my same camper with this set up and no bumper problems). Anyways, I like the front receiver for a few reasons, but there are some catches.

I borrowed a friends bike rack before buying one. I found that the vertical post (riser) on the rack was a bit too long, and when I put 3 bikes out front, they did get in my view range (even with seats removed), and after a 50 mile trip I still hadnt' gotten used to it. My solution was to scan craigslist. 4 months later, I found a custom bike rack that is a bit odd, but had a shorter rise to the vertical post, thus the bikes sit below the hood and I have no issue.

I also like the front receiver because I can put my cargo rack out there for hunting season while still pulling camper, I also used the cargo rack at the beach on the front end. I've heard of the bug issue, but in my neck of the woods it has not been a problem yet. No more bugs on them up front that when they are on the roof of the truck cap.
Greengiant
greengiant is offline   Reply With Quote