View Single Post
Old 10-27-2021, 07:55 AM   #1
Bombo80

First time winterizing the Hideout

We took the Hideout out for its maiden voyage this past weekend. Everything went perfectly !! The temps dropped into the upper 20's into Saturday morning.
I opted to fill the FW tank, in lieu of the hose connected to the city water hook up. Dumped and flushed the black and grey tanks. Emptied the FW tank and emptied the low point lines.
Last night was time to winterize. The water pump is under the bed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	water pump-1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	36755

Name:	FW tank.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	36756
In between the FW tank and the water heater.
I have done a lot of reading on the process. So we moved the mattresses and opened the compartment. Flipped the bypass valves.

Name:	WH bypass.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	36758
Opened all the water valves and drained the water system. Removed the anode rod from the water heater, and let it drain completely. Shut the water valves and removed the intake line from the pump and hooked up the connector and 3 foot hose which I stuck in a gallon jug of antifreeze. Cycled the pump to get it primed, then opened the cold water in the kitchen. Turned the pump on until a solid stream of pink was coming out, then shut that valve. I worked my way through the bathroom. Cold valves first, then went back and did the same routine on the hot valves. Had to switch to gallon 2 somewhere in this process. I also flushed the toilet and left a small amount above the seal.
After all of that, I dumped a cup, or so, of antifreeze down each of the p-traps. I then dumped the black and grey tanks, opened the low points and the FW drain valve.
Not sure if this was a good idea or not, but I dumped about a cup of antifreeze into the water heater and reinstalled the anode rod after putting new PTFE tape on the threads.
The whole process went very smooth and fairly quick for the first time.
Time to get a couple warranty issues fixed, then put her to bed for the season.

Any comments would be appreciated, especially if there was something I missed or something I did incorrectly.
Thanks,
Bombo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	city water connection.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	36757  

2021 Hideout 177RD
2015 Chevy Silverado 1500LT
Bombo80 is offline   Reply With Quote