View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 04:48 AM   #17
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by michol02 View Post
I bought a multi colored LED strip light with adhesive back. It is adjustable to several different colors(has remote control), and just rolls up with the awning. They are around $25 on eBay(5M 3528 RGB Waterproof 300 LED light). They put out plenty of light. I did some modifying of the wiring, including running it up through the awning arm. When the awning is out, just connect the plugs(painted them green on one side). When I retract the awning, it unplugs itself.
What a super idea!

I looked over some of the auctions and Buy It Now's on Ebay and discovered that the lessons we've learned about LED's for use in the light fixtures on our rigs can also be applied to these LED strips. And there are some really neat features to be looked at as well.

We now know that the 5050 LED is about 3 times brighter than the 3528's (15 lumens vs. 5 lumens) and I found these strips in both configurations. Given the number of LED's on the strip, it likely doesn't change the overall effect when turned on at night.

They are also available in solid colors including bright white and warm white as well as the RGB already mentioned. I like the remote control that allows you to blend different colors for various effects with the RGB strips.

These strip lights can be cut to length so those of us with shorter awnings can still make full use of them. That also makes them adaptable to a host of other uses.

Their primary power is 12 vdc. The 110 vac power packs are an optional add-on. For those of us that dry camp a lot, this is just as good as it gets.

If you think about your rigs for a moment, you'll quickly find other places that these strip lights would be very useful. My Cougar has a very large basement with just one dinky light in it. A couple of these strips would be fantastic there. Same for the front cargo compartment by the fifth wheel. I am also thinking they might make for better under cabinet lighting for the kitchen counters.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote