View Single Post
Old 09-29-2020, 04:25 AM   #77
byerskm

Solar Ready in Pass-Thru 2021 Cougar 26RBS - FINAL UPDATE

Since this is my final post in regard to describing the install, I want to thank MIKEC557 and WJQ one last time. Your shared experiences and ideas posted were extremely helpful and saved me a lot of time and probably prevented me from pursuing less effective solutions to some of the tasks.

I finished up the installation this past Saturday, when I installed the panels. My panels are 200W each and weigh 25lbs ea. Not so heavy, but not something you can just grab in one hand and climb the ladder with. So, it was nice to have my wife's (Mary) help on this final push to finish the job. We used a blanket to protect panels and side of trailer and rope to lift the panels carefully up to the roof, as Mary guided the panel from the ground as I lifted.

Installing the panels was somewhat anti-climatic as it was pretty simple, thanks to all the great advice received on the forum. The AMSolar rocker mounts are great and easy to install. I had installed the panel part of the mounts prior. So, all that was required was to position the panels, mark the screw locations, clean the surface with isopropyl alcohol, screw the mounts to the roof, and use dicor RV roof sealant to completely cover the mounts to assure no roof leakage.

I chose not to drill small pilot holes before driving the mounting screws. I wanted the screws to be as tight as possible in the wood. Also, I chose to use a hand-held screw driver and not my drill to drive the screws in. I just didn't want to take the slightest risk of mucking up a single screw hole. My drill has various settings to reduce the torque and prevent stripping out a hole, but I just didn't want to risk it. Being able to feel how tight each screw was, as it bottomed out, gave me much better sense of when to stop.

I also used the Eternabond tape, suggested here on the forum, to anchor the panel wires to the roof. I'll have to monitor this to be sure the wires are not flapping in the wind while driving. I wanted to leave enough slack so that the panels can be tilted if needed. So, I'm not 100% sure the wires will be secure enough. I do plan to go back on the roof and use electrical tape to wrap/seal the MC4 connectors and prevent any moisture entry into the sockets.

I've posted a couple pictures below, of the panels installed on the roof. For the last few days, I've been monitoring the system and everything is working great. I really like the Victron Connect app for monitoring the output of the panels, the output of the solar charger, and the battery condition.

Finally, we met out goal! Installation and check out prior to Oct 1st. We will be leaving for a month long RV trip come Friday Oct 2nd. Having the solar power adds a degree of freedom for our travels that we will really enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200924_162627619.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	30049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200926_111410742.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	30050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200926_122217336.jpg
Views:	169