Thread: Fire Safety
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 01:40 PM   #24
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Mentioned was the risk of a LP fire due to an accident or tire blow out. In the past several years with implementation of the OFD devices on propane bottles that risk has all but disappeared. Any sudden rapid release of propane the flow is immediately shut at the valve, meaning unless the bottle is ruptured the only fuel will be what small amount is in the lines. Disconnect the line from your bottle then open the valve, how much spews out? If any you need to replace that bottle ASAP!
The DW just reminded me that we did witness a RV burning right outside our RV park, but it was due to something in the rear of the Ford SUV tow vehicle (not the fridge), it took about 20 minutes for both to be a pile of charred metal & ashes.
I will say I've seen dozens of RVs/tow vehicles on their sides at the side of the road due to winds, poor/reckless driving or in my opinion the major cause, too much rv with not near enough tow vehicle coupled with the other two mentioned.
Danny, This is offered as a question - not a statement of fact...It was my understanding that the OPD valve only protects the tank when there is nothing connected to the valve. Once you connect a hose to the valve, the OPD valve is opened. Modern connection hoses, however, also include an excess flow restriction valve that will limit the flow of gas to about 20% of full open. It is for this reason, the tank valve needs to be opened slowly to allow back pressure to build and prevent the excess flow valve from closing. For a much better explanation:
So, if something accidentally opens your system to the atmosphere, it would be quite possible to completely drain the tanks (at about 20% of full flow). Now, I still agree with John, you, and others on the whole refrigerator fire issue. But the "GasStop" propane valves might be a very good investment to prevent bulk loss of propane.

Again - asking the question - not stating facts. Comments?
Thanks,
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote