Thread: Water Hammer
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2021, 04:34 AM   #8
JBR160

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
My Montana has water hammer occasionally and I cannot figure out why, For the most part, the water pump runs and all is relatively quiet. But sometimes, right after filling the fresh water tank, for about the first 10 gallons used, the pump will all of a sudden go into this "hammer" mode. Then just go quiet again.

Sometimes, after traveling and after getting set up for camp, the first few gallons will all of a sudden start the "hammer" sound. Then, it just quits. It doesn't make any sense because when this happens, the camper is usually sitting stationary for a while. Like I said, happens mostly right after filling the fresh water tank. Then sometimes, not at all.

I do know the actual water pump runs very, very quiet. I replaced one in my previous camper and they barely make a purr sound. The vibration from the pump amplifies through the pipes like a megaphone and can sound like the camper is going to explode from the sound. In my previous campers, I've tried all kinds of things to quiet the noise and very little worked. Mainly, because the vibration occurs where pipes pass through the walls and floors where access is impossible.

With my current camper, the pump is up front behind the wall in the fifth wheel over hang pass-through. But the hammering sound comes from under the shower pan, which is near the rear of the trailer. Also, the fresh water tank is in the rear also.

When filling the fresh water tank, it's done from the front, goes to a tank in the rear. Water pump is up front, so it pumps water from the tank in the rear, back to the front. From the front, it passes through the water pump and then to the back again for the shower, toilet, washing machine, and bathroom sink. That's a lot of pipe to vibrate.

Really, there is nothing getting damaged when you hear the noise, nothing is broken, nothing is wrong. It's just annoying noise. We just live with it. It's not worth the effort to tear (this) camper apart, like I did my last one to do a fix that never fixed anything.
I wish mine would only do it for a short period. It seems it does not matter what the level of the tank is at. If you just run the faucet to wash your hands or just flush the toilet, it is not too bad. If you want to take a shower though, it gets really annoying!
JBR160 is offline   Reply With Quote