View Single Post
Old 11-29-2020, 03:00 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
My first camping trip was Labor Day 1968, and I was all of a month old, so I guess you can say it’s in my blood. Our first camper was a 1964 Apache tent trailer.

As we grew we went to a 19’ Nomad in 1972 then to a 26’ Nomad in 1975.

When I went off on my own at 18, it was just a basic tent until I bought my first camper in 1995; a 1972 Starcraft Starmaster 8 pop-up, then a 2000 Coleman Bayside Elite pop-up, then a 2003 Jayco Kiwi 23B, then a divorce and remarriage and back to tent camping with the motorcycle until we adopted our daughter.

In the interest of instilling the love of the outdoors to a new generation, we sold our beloved Harley and bought a truck and our current Passport (that might give an idea of the value of the Harley we sold). As painful as it was to sell the bike (I have been riding motorcycles since I was 8) it has been worth it to see the love of the outdoors and camping that has blossomed in our little girl.

Up until our newest camper, we had camped exclusively at State park campgrounds (none of which had hookups). We enjoyed and preferred the woods and the trees separating the campsites, the old brown painted buildings reminding me of summer camps of my youth and the stone fireplaces typically built by the CCC in the 1930’s. We still prefer those campgrounds, but with two English Bulldogs traveling with us now, having power is now a must-have for the AC to keep them cool and healthy, and I must admit us humans like it too.
Thanks for replying! I love those old tent campers from the 50s and 60s. And I’m sure it was hard to sell the Harley but you will be repaid 100 times over in smiles and memories with your daughter and your family