View Single Post
Old 08-06-2020, 10:21 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Yep, that's the way I understand it as well.... The "rub" comes when there is a 5MBPS input and, let's say, 3 devices connected to the router... Each devices "wants 4 MBPS"... you can't get 12MBPS from a 5MBPS source... So, EVERY device slows down to a crawl, freezes, won't connect, drops connections, etc...

fatcatzzz said that you can "double up on input devices" to increase the speed "throughput of the router"... I've not yet seen a router with multiple inputs, although that doesn't mean they don't exist...

To me, having a 5MBPS phone acting as a "hot spot" connected to a router (to eliminate the "1 device limitation" of the Visible system) would be "OK for one router connection" but would "be a significant limitation" if there were two or three people, all connected to the router, sharing that "hot spot connection"....

A few months ago, we "heard about a new Verizon unlimited WIFI plan" with no throttle-back speeds.... As I understand it, a few people signed up, spent significant money on "required equipment for that plan", and a few months later, the plan was dropped, leaving them with expensive equipment, and the only alternative plan was "almost like the old plans before they bought into the new one"....

I wonder if this "Visible unlimited data with no throttle-back speeds" will, in a couple of months, start having "exceptions and carve-outs" that make the plan "less than it is today"..... I suppose only time will tell, eh???
Agreed. Thing is, with so many states still "remote schooling" I think all bets are off on what those speeds may actually be.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote