View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 08:40 AM   #56
LewisB

Time for a 10,000 foot view?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
...Knowing what I know now (which isn't a lot, but enough) I would rent a trailer that size for a week / weekend and see how that works out.
I would weigh what I was bringing as I loaded the trailer. When camping I would take stock of what I brought, see what I was missing that I thought was necessary to put in my trailer and make a list. Including tools and leveling equipment hoses etc.
It would probably cost you $1500 to $2000 for a week inclusive. Over that week it would give you some real insight as to what you need or want.
In the long run, you will know the gas consumption, the feel of carrying that with your truck, as well as the real life weights and costs your dealing with.
Heck, if your close to a cat or other weigh scale that would be optimal as well.
Best of luck to you both
This is GREAT advice! Maybe it is time for you take a very deep breath, step back, and take a 10K foot view of your "journey" so far. You have gone from a 26' trailer with a lot of nice features to a 22' trailer that is really going to feel "small" even for 2 people. [Think in terms of being limited to living in a hotel room for several months.] In your original post, you indicate you plan to live in this unit. Are you really going to be happy with this rig? If you think so, invest the time/funds to test that theory with a rental rig! So far, your decisions are being driven by your desire to keep your existing tow vehicle - but you are discovering that it really isn't designed to function as you intend to use it.

Please don't take this in a negative way - you are doing everything in a really SMART way! Asking questions, changing your expectations to match reality - all good stuff! Maybe it is time to rent & test your expectations against reality. Purchasing a trailer that you will ultimately not be happy with, being towed by a vehicle that really isn't all that capable, will only place you twice as deep in a hole that is even harder to exit in the future. It would be money well spent to test you final decision before making the financial plunge!

Just IMHO...
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote