View Single Post
Old 02-20-2020, 09:58 AM   #27
WDPatterson

On my F250, I ran Michelin AT2 LT275-65 R20 (126Q) 34.4-inch tires, which do 606 revolutions per mile... They lasted past the 60,000 mile warranty, at over 65,000 miles, and I ran on them everyday, over a hundred twenty miles per day. They were quiet, they were stable, and they pulled great. What they didn't do was handled mud very well.

When I replaced my F250, they had put Federal tires on my F350. They had replaced one of those Federals with a Cooper. None of those tires were rated for an F-350. So, I immediately replaced all four tires and the spare with Nitto LT295-65 R20 (129Q) 35.47-inch Trail Grapplers. They're not only fairly quiet, they are also 35.47 inch tires, instead of 34.4-inch tires.

Someone else mentioned a huge difference between 34-point something and 35.2 in. Remember, that's diameter, not radius. It's like less than hitting a bump. What you should really be paying attention to is how many times that tire revolves in a mile.

Well the AT2's did 606 revolutions per mile, Nittos only do 586 revolutions per mile, and carry 4080 pounds per tire. The difference in fuel mileage is negligible.

You might ask why I chose Trail Grapplers instead of the street tires. There were two reasons:

1 - We live in a muddy area which requires me to get in and out while pulling a trailer. The Michelins actually got me stuck.

2 - They actually have a higher weight rating than the Michelins. That's 4080 pounds per tire, instead of 3750 lb per tire

Just remember to look at the actual load rating for The Tire in pounds.
The Michelin LT 275 65 R20 126Q is good for 3750 pounds at 80 psi. The Nitto 295-65 R20 129Q is good for 4080 lb at 80 psi.

The "Q number", is actually a more accurate representation of the load capacity of the tire. The Nittos are at 129Q, the Michelins are at 126Q.

Furthermore, when you take a look at tires, always look at the number of Plies in the tread, and the number of Plies in the side walls. The design of the sidewall is equally or more important than the design of the tread. That side wall has to support that tire against collapse, and/or roll. It has to provide support to Bear the Weight of the Load, not only on the straightaway, but through the curves.

I think I said about enough. Happy hunting on your set of tires!!
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote